Translate

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dragon Age: Origins

Um.  This game sucks.

I love Fantasy, I love role-playing games, I love epic battles, I love dragons, I love ages, and I love origins.  So if a game has all of the above and still manages to suck such asshole, then there is something really wrong.  Quite frankly, I believe BioWare paid off websites to make sure this game received universal acclaim.  I can see how most gamers these days are stupid enough or blinded enough by what everyone else says to like a game like this.  But how gaming journalists, people who typically have been gaming their entire lives, can play a game broken in virtually every respect from its The Lord of the Rings ripoff story to its combat that doesn't pick up until halfway through, its long-winded and boring dialogue, its lack of significant choice-and-consequence, its art direction that ranges from banal to hideous, its repetitive quests, and yet STILL rate this as one of this generation's greatest games is honestly just unbelievable. 

The orc army leaves Minas Morgul under the gaze of the Nazgûl.

I'll start with the story, which is, as I've said, a complete ripoff of The Lord of the Rings.  And yes, Dragon Age fans, it is a ripoff when you take every other idea from Tolkien.  There's a difference between being influenced by him and just plagiarizing his ass and Dragon Age crosses that line by a mile.  You can choose several different characters to start with, and each one changes the ending slightly and gives you a different opening scenario.  You then go to Osgiliath, which is the fortress city that stands guard over the orcs and the darkness that comes with them (you know, like in The Lord of the Rings when orcs take over places it gets blighted, like Minas Ithil becoming Minas Morgul).  The orcs are corrupted elves, humans, and dwarves like they are in The Lord of the Rings.  Anyway, the king is slaughtered after one of his greatest generals leaves the battle, and Osgiliath is overrun, meaning the orcs have an open path to Minas Tirith.  

As one of two surviving Grey Wardens, it's your job to build an army by gaining the support of the earl in Edoras, the mages in Isengard, the dwarves of Moria, and the elves of the Woodland Realm.  Then you need to put Aragorn, your party member and true king of Ferel- I mean Gondor, on the throne.  The return of the king will provide much-needed stability to the country.  So when the orcs make a diversionary move to Edoras and catch everyone off-guard (which makes perfect fucking sense because how can't you mistake a few thousands orcs for the entire army when you already know there are hundreds of thousands in their ranks?), the vast majority of their army moves on Minas Tirith. Then you kill the Sauron Dragon and died.  Unless, of course, you make a deal with Morrigan to impregnate her and let her keep the kid which no sane person would pass up because who in the hell would choose death over sex, especially when the mother has already stated she won't even require child support.  When that's the biggest choice you have to make all game, then wtf?

The mages live in a tower called Isengard.

Then we get stuck with all this fucking dialogue, where you can either be nice to everyone (pussy) or be an asshole to everyone (douche-bag).  But you have to sit through sooooo much of it, which might be all right if the story had even a hint of originality.  The dwarves have a caste system to set them apart from Tolkien dwarves, but they're still stubborn turds, and the elves are mortal and live in squalid conditions after years of human subjugation, yet they're still arrogant and belittling.  But enough about that shit.  The combat doesn't help matters either.  We get MMO style point and click, then wait for the battle to end.  Later in the game it picks up big-time as strategy and making correct commands are important, but through the first half of the game, it often just sucks.  The real bad thing is how repetitive the quests are.  They're soooo very long-winded with soooo many battles, that you'll probably have a headache shortly after you leave Osgiliath.  Not only that, but the side quests are pretty much all the same as well, leaving me to just say "fuck all the people" and move on with my life.  I just don't get it; how is a game hailed as epic and deep be so goddamn boring?

Morrigan: The obligatory bitch.

I'm tired of typing at this point, but I guess I really need to point out my other big problem with this game.  It's fantasy, and yet there is no adventuring.  Imagine my shock, as someone who has experienced hours upon hours of Fantasy adventuring in The Elder Scrolls, The Legend of Zelda, Shadow of the Colossus, Alundra, etc, when I saw that traversing the overworld occurs on a map.  Give me a fucking break.  The adventuring in each level isn't even any good thanks to the lack of any kind of original or appealing art direction whatsoever.  The cities look like any other Fantasy city I've ever seen, Isengard looks the same as it did in The Lord of the Rings, Moria is nothing special, and the Woodland Realm is an eyesore.  So to sum it all up: Dragon Age: Origins is a banal Lord of the Rings clone that is tedious, ugly, and very lucky (though not for us) that Tolkien isn't alive to see the series shut down due to plagiarism.

5.5/10

4 comments:

  1. I didn't like it very much either. Especially after being lead to believe that it was a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, it was a big disappointment at the time.

    Personally I don't really like stories in games, because they are just never good. So I am just don't even expect a story anymore and I don't read anything. It was different in the 80's and 90's when I had games like Day of the Tentacle and Planescape Torment or whatever, but those days are gone. So the main reason I play RPG's these days is just for the combat. If I want to run around doing quests - I play an MMO, they have millions of quests. If I want to run around pretty worlds wupping ass, I play an FPS. If I want story I read books or watch a film. From an RPG what I really want, is tactical combat, and I don't care if it's real time, turn based, or pausable.

    And that's where this game upset me the most, because it's like a simplified version of everything that went before. Whereas I used to have 30 or 40 spells, I know have about 12, and whereas I used to have to rely on remembering things and being very careful with last second heals, I now have healers that automatically heal everyone around you with an auto-aura, and I have characters that can just rest after every battle, back to full in a few seconds, infinite potions, and the majority of fights can be practically exploited by just filling the entire room with fireballs and whatnot, as magic is just not balanced to the point of being an afterthought.

    So yeah, combat was a let down for me. I enjoyed a few fights but I did not appreciate the 'streamlining', if I wanted streamlined I'd play an FPS or Streetfighter 4 or something, the whole point of an RPG for me is that I can get all obsessed about stats and +1 here and fire immunity there, etc..

    But the fact that the palette was mostly brown, the story was boring, the characters were cliched, and it was also very short, just made the whole thing a big let down.

    I was also especially annoyed by how bad the replayability is. I wanted to replay it using a party that was Rogue focused instead of Mage focused, but the game is just terrible for playing through a second time. It starts great because you get a different start to the game thanks to the new character, but it ends very quickly and before you know it you are stuck in the exact same, extremely linear journey through the exact same game you played the last time, and nothing is different. Even the conversation choices mostly amount to nothing so after a few hours I just couldn't be bothered playing again because it just felt like the same thing all over again, and if you need a healer, there is only really one choice. At least with games like Baldur's Gate 2, the world is bigger so I can approach it differently, and I could also play through it again with an *entirely* different party.

    So yeah, all around poor. But, could be worse.... could be Dragon Age 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a society that considers Shakespeare to be the paragon of good storytelling, we really don't have the right to complain about bad stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Screw you Bioware, for disgracing the name Morrigan. You owe Capcom so much money for giving that name such a horrible face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran a D&D campaign for a year and during that year one of my players kept telling me: "You gotta play Dragonage Origins, you gotta play Dragonage Origins" so I bought the damn thing and fell asleep during the first mission thingy. I hate the art direction, it's indicative of all the bad fantasy art permeating the genre today, the levels are just a jumbled, hilly mess of crap with broken navigation, broken terrain that glitches out, the over-world is just lazy and the writing is like something a pretentious high schooler would have come up with. It bears no resemblance to Baldur's Gate: that game was compelling, the writing was amazing, the characters were real and the world compelling.

    ReplyDelete